Mayor, Rowe continue joust in parish council money squabble
Kingston Mayor Andrew Swaby and Lawrence Rowe returned to the political ring on Tuesday trading charges over the source of money spent by the Opposition People’s National Party (PNP) last year.
Swaby, in a lengthy speech on the issue during the monthly meeting of the Kingston and St Andrew Municipal Corporation (KSAMC) in downtown Kingston, declared that Rowe was wrong for assuming money from the public purse was distributed to supporters of the PNP in political divisions that are currently without sitting councillors to prop up support for the party.
“Clearly, Mr Rowe wrongfully assumed that the money being considered to be sent to these divisions was for political favour. Those funds were legitimate allocations from the KSAMC and the Ministry [of Local Government] designated for community initiatives in the absence of an elected councillor,” Mayor Swaby said.
“Furthermore, I wish to clarify that any money Mr Rowe received from a member of my administrative staff were not public funds from the KSAMC or any other public source. Those funds were privately raised through party initiatives and efforts,” the mayor said.
“This is not an unusual occurrence, as it is the norm for individuals and organisations to contribute to political parties. Let me absolutely declare that no funds from the KSAMC were used to bolster the political support of any candidate through any division or constituency,” Swaby added.
“The law mandates that, in the absence of a councillor, the mayor and the chairman of the KSAMC assumes responsibility for that division. This includes overseeing the spending of money allocated from the divisional allocation fund which is designated for each municipal division. As such, any funds allocated to these divisions without an elected councillor was disbursed at my sole discretion within my authority as mayor and chairman,” the mayor said.
However, in a swift response Rowe, who had aspired to contest the Kingston Central constituency for the PNP but was dumped in favour of retired Senior Superintendent of Police Stave McGregor, said the mayor’s comments lack credibility.
“Given the gravity of this matter and its public interest, I must state that at no time was I aware of the funds received by PNP political representatives during December last year were party resources,” Rowe said in open letter to Swaby posted on social media.
“In fact, any resources PNP representatives have received from party central are collected at the party’s headquarters. The funds over the Christmas season by PNP political representatives were collected on the compound of the KSAMC,” Rowe charged.
On January 31 Swaby released a statement addressing allegations of partisan disbursement of money from the KSAMC to shore up support for the PNP in two divisions — Olympic Gardens and Chancery Hall.
“Both divisions are currently without elected councillors; one due to the former councillor’s membership in the House of Representatives and the other due to the untimely passing of the councillor of the division,” Swaby said in the statement.
“Similarly, the Kingston Western constituency is also without an elected councillor due to the untimely passing of the councillor.”
The mayor said he had taken note of WhatsApp correspondence between Rowe and PNP General Secretary Dr Dayton Campbell regarding money being spent in the divisions without elected councillors.
“Based on the message I can only assume that the money referred to is the $2.7-million allocated to each of the divisions. These monies include a portion from the KSAMC divisional allocation fund as well as money allocated by the ministry. Let me absolutely declare that no funds from the KSAMC were used to bolster the political support of any candidate through any division or constituency,” Swaby insisted.
He said that the KSAMC does not disburse cash to individuals and that any such suggestion is categorically false.
Swaby pledged his support and cooperation to assist any anti-corruption investigations, pointing out that such a stance was in keeping with his position of transparency, accountability, and good governance which have been key priorities of his Administration.
But in his response on Tuesday, Rowe posed a number of questions to Swaby, including a request for the mayor to provide documented evidence of the approval and disbursement of the $2.7-million allocated to each division.
Rowe also asked whether formal records or council minutes were kept detailing how the funds were distributed and spent, and why were portions of the funds redirected instead of being fully allocated to the Members of Parliament (MPs) and managed by the KSAMC’s chief engineering officer.
Additionally, he asked: “What criteria determined the reallocation of funds to you versus the MPs? What oversight measures ensured these funds were strictly used for community projects? And did the KSAMC chief engineering officer personally approve all expenditures, and can those records be made available?”
Rowe also asked Swaby to say whether he had communicated with Dr Campbell regarding the funds, and if so, in what capacity? He also asked if the privately raised funds were documented in the PNP’s financial records.
He also challenged Swaby on the issue of transparency, asking: “Why was there no publicly announced mechanism for disbursing funds in divisions without councillors?” and, “If transparency is a priority, why were these allocations not disclosed earlier?”
However, in his January 31 statement, Swaby had said that, while he was under no obligation to engage respective Jamaica Labour Party MP he made a deliberate decision to do so in the interest of transparency.
“In the case of Denham Town, I reached out to [Desmond McKenzie] the Member of Parliament of Kingston Western, who is also the minister of local government. The entire $2.7 million was disbursed to him for expenditure within the division.
“In the case of the Olympic Gardens Division, the KSAMC then gave [Andrew Holness], the Member of Parliament, who is also the prime minister, $2.7 million allocated to that division, of which $700,000 was reallocated to me in the capacity of caretaker.
“This money was used to fund projects which were undertaken in that division over the period. The selected projects were identified by leaders within the communities. These projects were reviewed and administered under the supervision of the office of the city engineer at the KSAMC, as required by law,” Swaby said.
The controversy has so far resulted in Dr Campbell issuing a threat of legal action against dancehell artiste Clifford Smith, who goes by the stage name Mr Vegas, for comments he posted on social media linking Campbell to corruption allegations made against the KSAMC.
Mr Vegas, a vlogger whose posts on political matters are mostly in support of the ruling Jamaica Labour Party, had accused Campbell of being involved in the misallocation of taxpayers’ money.
He had also accused most traditional media of being silent on the accusations.
However, at a PNP meeting at Ewarton Sports Complex on February 2, Campbell declared that he will be pursuing legal action against Mr Vegas and others who have been accusing him of involvement in corruption.
“I don’t work at parish council, and I don’t have no standing to instruct no parish council, so I can’t misappropriate anything. Any bwoy or girl weh seh suh, me and dem a go a courthouse starting with Mr Vegas. So Mr Vegas, dive and tek weh yourself and pay some money because you cannot escape this one,” Campbell said.
Faced with the threat of a lawsuit, the entertainer ate humble pie and issued an apology on his account on the X platform.
“Attention: I would like to apologise publicly to @Dayton Campbell (Dr Dayton Campbell) for any unflattering remarks I may have made about him at any time. I confirm that I do not have any information or facts about any improper behaviour or activity regarding Mr Campbell; therefore, I apologise for any such allegations that may have been made,” he wrote.